Learn to fly a drone! Develop your professional network and collaborate with other students! Taught by professionals from the aviation industry!
Aeronautical Explorations is a three-week online learning program for Washington State rising 9th – 12th graders who want to explore careers in the aviation industry. An aviation-focused exploratory course, this unique program includes a sampling of topics designed to explore careers in the aviation industry. Topics may include navigation, instrumentation, aerodynamics, aircraft systems, weather/meteorology, aeronautical careers, unmanned aerial systems, and more!
While online, this course is highly engaging with opportunities to learn from and interact with exciting guest speakers who are icons in the aerospace industry, access to behind-the-scenes Museum artifacts, and your own set of materials such as downloadable flight simulator software, a joystick, and even your own drone! You will build a foundation in aviation that will help you excel regardless of the career pathway you choose to pursue.
Aeronautical Explorations will be offered online, with possible visits to The Museum of Flight. Learning is guided by the course instructors, and includes independent and group projects, on and offline.
*Enrollment for Aeronautical Explorations is currently full. To sign up for our waitlist, click here.
Dates: June 21 – July 9, 2021*
*Independence Day observed on Monday, July 5
*Subject to change based on Puget Sound Skills Center summer school schedule
Time: 8 a.m. to 1:30 p.m., Monday – Friday
Includes: Course materials, downloadable flight simulation software, a joystick, and a drone to keep!
Cost: $35 check payable to the Puget Sound Skills Center
Credits: Students will receive .5 high school CTE credit through the Puget Sound Skills Center
Registration: Enrollment for Aeronautical Explorations is currently full. To sign up for our waitlist, click here.
In addition to exploring the aerospace industry and meeting industry icons, you will:
- Have the possibility to earn credits!
- Build your resume that stands out to college admissions representatives, future employers and in scholarship applications!
- Develop a network of aerospace professionals who will help you get to where you want to go!
- Have instructors available throughout the summer to help you prepare for the FAA Commercial Drone Part 107 Exam, if that is your goal!
- Receive a FREE Connections membership for unlimited admission to the Museum (until age 19)!
- Be instructed by not your "ordinary" teachers but aviation experts who understand what careers in aerospace can do for your future!
You will need* a PC with the following minimum specs or greater (most any modern PC will work):
- OS: Windows® XP Service Pack 2 or later
- Processor: 2.0 Ghz or higher (single core)
- Memory: 2 GB RAM
- Graphics: DirectX®9 compliant video card or greater, 256 MB video RAM or higher
- Network: Broadband Internet connection
- Hard Drive: 30 GB available disk space *If needed, The Museum of Flight or Puget Sound Skills Center can provide computer on loan to students
Questions? Please email GroundSchool@museumofflight.org.
For an Aeronautical Explorations info flyer to share, CLICK HERE!
The Museum of Flight plans to resume hosting onsite Private Pilot Ground School in summer 2022.