A panel of Seattle-area Pan Am veterans will recall their experiences of the grand era of the flying boats--1935-1945--during a Feb. 13 program at The Museum of Flight. The panelists will discuss the history, design and operations of Pan Am's flying boats, with a focus on the icon of the age--the Boeing 314 Clipper. The program will be illustrated with dozens of rare photographs from The Museum of Flight Photo Archive. Engineer Robert Blake started working for Pan American Airlines in New York during 1941. As a Pan Am First Officer, Capt. Herb Stevenson flew both the Boeing 314 and Sikorsky S-42 flying boats for Pan Am. Capt. Larry Bendlebury and Flight Engineer John Anderson also served on flying boats during the 1940s, with Anderson's career ultimately leading the flight deck of the Boeing 747. A question and answer session follows the program, and the panelists will be available for signing Pan Am memorabilia. The presentation is at 2 p.m. in the William M. Allen Theater, and is free with admission to the Museum. The Boeing 314 Clipper Responding to a request by Pan American Airlines for a large airliner capable of flying across oceans in the mid-1930s, Boeing--with a late entry to the design competition--developed the huge, luxurious Model 314 flying boat. It joined the Pan Am "Clipper" fleet in 1939. With its two-deck cabin, it became the "jumbo" airplane of it's the era. With a range of 3,500 miles, the first scheduled trans-Atlantic Clipper flight was June 28, 1939. By 1940 the 314s were routinely flying across the Pacific. Clipper passengers enjoyed large windows, dressing rooms and gourmet meals served in a dining salon. The flying boat could seat up to 74 passengers, or in an overnight "sleeper" configuration with 40 bunks. A dozen Model 314s were built by the end of 1941. With World War II, Clippers were used as military transports. There are no surviving examples of the plane today.