Director of Annual Giving and Development Operations
The Director of Annual Giving and Development Operations will report to and work closely with the Museum of Flight’s Vice President of Development. He/she will be responsible for creating and maintaining a fully integrated, coordinated and successful annual giving program which includes individual, corporate, foundation philanthropy; local government grants, and membership. This position will also oversee all day-to-day operations of the Museum of Flight’s Development Department. Primary responsibilities will include management of a staff of five that have collective responsibility for annual donations from individuals giving less than $1,000/year; annual renewal, acquisition and retention of Museum members; operation of The Raiser’s Edge database; annual foundation, corporate, and government agency grant identification, research, writing and reporting; and gift processing and acknowledgement. The position will ensure the smooth functioning of each of these critical areas of operation as well as interdepartmental coordination and communication with Finance, Operations, Marketing, Human Resources, Exhibits, Education and Facilities departments. He/she will also oversee the planning, tracking and day-to-day management of the Development Department’s budget and will keep the VP of Development apprised of its status on a regular basis.
Education: Bachelor’s degree (B.A.) from an accredited college or university
Experience: Seven to ten years of progressive nonprofit development experience with proven experience leading a team in the primary function areas of annual fundraising, membership and grant-writing
License & Certification: N/A
Museum Specific Qualifications:
• At time of job offer candidate must be able to pass a criminal background check
• Ability to work a flexible schedule that include working or attending events scheduled in the evening
and or weekends
Knowledge & Skills:
• Excellent written, verbal presentation and interpersonal communication skills
• Self-directed, self-assured and comfortable with diverse individuals and groups in a variety of situations and requests, and able to meet competing deadlines.
• Experience establishing and monitoring department and project budgets
• Meticulous attention to detail
• Proficient computer skills and donor database fluency (Raiser’s Edge preferred)
Essential Job Functions
1. Manage all aspects of the Museum’s annual giving program, including goal-setting, resource allocation, calendar development, and establishment of timelines for the year to ensure success
2. Prepare regular reports for the Vice President of Development detailing progress of Development Department towards annual goals
3. Guide, motivate and lead a staff of five members of the Museum of Flight’s Development Department
4. Set performance goals with team members and regularly monitor progress towards those goals
5. In conjunction with the Individual Giving & Membership Manager, develop and implement strategies such as monthly giving options for increasing annual unrestricted donations and memberships
6. Work with the Grants Manager to research and write grants for annual operations and projects
7. Communicate closely with the Database Manager and Donor Acknowledgement Assistant to ensure accurate recording of all gifts and monthly reconciliation with Accounting
8. Create and maintain the annual Development Department calendar, ensuring the inclusion of all key mailing and reporting dates noted above, major annual cultivation and stewardship events, closing dates for Aloft (the Museum’s bi-monthly magazine), and other major Museum-wide activities impacting and involving the Development Department.
9. Serve as liaison to Marketing with regards to features, articles and ads in Aloft. Create 12-month calendar to better plan for relevant Aloft content.
10. Ensure timely processing and acknowledgement of all gifts and memberships to the Museum
11. Oversee annual Development Department budgeting process, tracking and reconciliation with Finance Department
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The Director of Annual Giving and Development Operations is a fulltime position and requires a flexible work schedule based on the needs of the department that may require one to work evenings and/or weekends. The standard workweek for this position is Monday through Friday.
• The Director of Annual Giving and Development Operations will work frequently inside an office environment and at times outside the office to provide the necessary service required by the job.
• Manual dexterity is required to use laptop, desktop computers and peripherals
• Repetitive wrist and arm movement
• Occasional lifting of items up to 40 pounds
This position opens October 18, 2013 and will stay open until filled. To apply for this position, send a cover letter and your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with Attn: 9M-Dir of Annual G&D-10.25.13 and your full name in the subject line.