The Empire Writes Back: a "Star Wars Reads Day" Writing Contest
When:Saturday, October 11, 2014 -
Location:William M. Allen Theater
CALL FOR ENTRIES
In honor of Star Wars Reads Day at the Museum of Flight on October 11, 2014, guests are invited to submit original works for the Empire Writes Back! Writing contest.
THIS CALL IS OPEN TO ALL CHILDREN IN GRADES 2-8
(Relatives of Museum of Flight Foundation employees are not eligible).
ENTRY DEADLINE: 11:59 p.m. (PST) October 4, 2014 (10/4/2014)
1. Museum Overview
The Museum of Flight is a private 501 (c)(3) Washington non-profit corporation that is nationally accredited with the American Association of Museums and a Smithsonian Affiliate, and the largest private air and space museum in the world. The Museum of Flight exists to acquire, preserve and exhibit historically significant air and space artifacts, which provide a foundation for scholarly research, and lifelong learning programs that inspire an interest in and understanding of science, technology and the humanities. The vision of the Museum is to be the foremost educational air and space museum in the world.
2. Theme and Eligibility
- No purchase necessary.
- All stories must be Star Wars themed.
- One entry per person.
- Stories must be original.
- Only single author stories qualify (no co-authored stories).
- Stories can be fact or fiction, and prose or poetry.
- Entrants must be children in grades 2-8.
3. Word Count and Format
- Second and third grade stories must be between 100 and 350 words.
- Fourth and fifth grade stories must be between 350 and 700 words.
- Sixth, seventh, and eighth grade stories must be between 700 and 1,000 words.
- Number each page and include last name at the bottom of each page.
- The word count includes “a,” “an,” and “the,” but not the words on non-story pages such as the title page.
- Up to 5 illustrations are allowed, but may not replace words.
- Entries must be typed or written legibly.
- Invented spelling is allowed.
Accepted entries may be reproduced by the Museum solely to promote the Star Wars Reads event.
6. Selection Process
All eligible entries will be judged and chosen by a jury selected by the Museum staff.
- Each winner is invited to read his or her story during a public reading on Star Wars Day, October 11, 2014.
- If winners do not wish to read their story aloud, a museum staff member or volunteer will read it during the public reading.
- Winners receive two free admissions, valid only on Star Wars Day.
- Winners will receive other special Star Wars prizes!
8. How to Enter
- Details on the entry form must be filled in completely. DOWNLOAD ENTRY FORM HERE.
- Entries must be submitted or postmarked by the deadlines listed below:
Empire Writes Back! Contest
9404 East Marginal Way South
Seattle, WA 98108
|Empire Writes Back MOF Entry Form||63.07 KB|