Installation of Lockheed Electra and Stinson Model O
When:Saturday, October 12, 2013 (All day)
Oct. 12 is “moving day” in the Museum’s glass building called the Great Gallery, and the activities will be open to Museum visitors. At least six airplanes on exhibit inside and outside of the Museum will have to be moved around, out, and in, to make room for the addition of a Lockheed Electra and Stinson Model O in the Golden Age of Aviation exhibit. While full access to the gallery will be restricted throughout the day, all of the aircraft and activity will be on view for Museum visitors.
The World War II-era Super Corsair fighter will be moved out of its current spot in the gallery to a new home at the Museum's Restoration Center. Replacing it will be a 1935 Lockheed Model 10-E Electra transport (centerpiece of the new Amelia Earhart exhibit); while next to the Electra will be the world’s only Stinson Model O. This will be the first time either of the airplanes has been on display in a museum. The Electra is one of only two in existence, the Model O is unique. Both of the airplanes were flown to the museum on Sept. 21, 2013.
The Lockheed Model 10-E Electra
The Museum’s Electra was built for Northwest Airlines and began passenger service in 1935. It served in WWII and then went back to flying passengers for airlines in Brazil and the U.S. until it was restored to replicate Amelia Earhart's Electra in 1996. In 1997 Linda Finch flew it around the world, reenacting Earhart’s ill-fated, 1937 last flight. Today there is only one other Lockheed Model 10-E Electra in existence.
The Stinson Model O
The Stinson Aircraft Company of Wayne, Michigan built the Model O to serve as a military training and utility aircraft. Based on the company’s popular Reliant series, the Model O was first developed to help the government of Honduras establish its own air force. Just nine Model O’s were ever built. Stinson delivered three to Honduras in 1933 where the military used them for training and anti-insurgency operations. Another three aircraft later went to China, one to Brazil and one to Argentina. The prototype remained in the United States.