Great Africa Air Safari--de Havilland Beaver Pre-Flight and Static Display
Time: Saturday, May 11, 2013 - 2:00pm - 3:30pm
Event Type: Public Program
Location: East Parking Lot
The Great Africa Air Safari Starts on May 11!
The Great Africa Air Safari is an educational initiative that brings the real-time excitement of an airborne journey through Southern Africa to our Aviation Learning Center. A group of Museum volunteers and friends have shipped their historic de Havilland Beaver aircraft from Seattle to Cape Town and will be flying between game preserves, recording their experiences, and connecting with Museum visitors.
The Museum will become the virtual home for the Safari and will feature a range of online activities and simulated flights in our Aviation Learning Center linked to this amazing adventure.
On Saturday, May 11, join the Museum as we welcome two de Havilland Beaver aircraft to our parking lot. At 2:00pm, join the aircraft crews as they lead you on a pre-flight check of the airplanes--just like the Great Africa Safari team will be doing when they take off for the first leg of their journey.
Air Safari updates, team blogs, and online activities are at http://www.museumofflight.org/airsafari
Complete the Online Lesson and then come to the Museum for simulated flights in the Aviation Learning Center.
- Lesson #1 - May 11 at 2:00PM - preflight a DHC Beaver Airplane (in the Museum Parking Lot)
- Lesson #2 - May 13 at 3:00PM - flights between Cape Town and Tswalu.
- Lesson #3 - May 16 at 3:00PM - practice landing at different airports in Botswana.
- Lesson #4 - May 18 at 11:00AM - scenic flights around Botswana’s game preserves.
- Lesson #5 - May 24 at 3:00PM - practice landing on different types of runways.
- Lesson #6 - May 25 at 11:00AM – pilot observation planes or drones.
- Lesson #7 - May 30 at 3:00PM - practice over water flights.
- Lesson #8 – July 7 at 2:00PM – fly simulated flight with the Great Africa Air Safari pilots and crew
Grades 4 – 12 | Space is limited | Registration is free and includes Museum Admission for simulated flights.
Registration and information available at email@example.com