The F-4 Phantom II, with its harsh symmetry, swept-back wings, and drooping tail was called "brutishly ugly" by some pilots. But whatever the Phantom lacked in looks, it more than made up for with exceptional performance. When unveiled, the fighter was considered huge and immensely powerful. In 1958, the F-4 was selected by the U.S. Navy as a fleet defense interceptor. Soon, its remarkable capabilities led to use by the Air Force and Marine Corps as well. As the pre-eminent American combat aircraft of the 1960s, it fulfilled the roles of interceptor, air superiority fighter, and reconnaissance aircraft and became the standard by which all other fighters were judged for more than ten years.
The Museum's F-4C was built in 1965 and served in Vietnam. This plane shot down three North Vietnamese MiG-21 aircraft. After its active Air Force duty, this Phantom served the Oregon Air National Guard for nine years, flying tactical defense exercises from Portland International Airport.
This aircraft is on loan from the National Museum of the United States Air Force through the cooperation and assistance of the Oregon National Guard and the Oregon Military Museum.
Help us preserve this historic artifact for future generations. Click here to find out about the Museum's Adopt-A-Plane program.