First produced in 1940 by The Engineering and Research Corp. (Erco) the 415 Ercoupe was designed to be an easy-to-fly, affordable, and safe light aircraft. Easy to operate and maintain, the Ercoupe was targeted at non-professional pilots and was designed to be "spin-proof" with controls that only allowed the aircraft to move upward and downward in limited degrees. Developed in the late 1930s, over 100 Ercoupes were produced and delivered before the start of World War II halted production of aircraft for civilian use. With aluminum supplies severely limited during the war, Erco produced and tested several Ercoupes constructed out of wood. These wooden aircraft were heavier but flew more quietly than their aluminum counterparts and were used during the war by the Civil Air Patrol and for Civilian Pilot Training programs.
In 1946, production of aluminum Ercoupes for civilian use resumed and Erco produced over 5,000 aircraft before production was again halted in 1951 by the Korean War. After 1951, the Ercoupe design was passed off to numerous smaller aircraft companies and was produced under several different names including: Fourney F-1 and F1-A Aircoupe, Alon A-2 and A-2A Aircoupe, and Mooney A2-A Aircoupe and M-10 Cadet. All production of the design ceased in 1970.
The Museum's Erco 415C Ercoupe is currently undergoing restoration at the Restoration Center at Paine Field.